Monday, May 28, 2012

it's all mine


cardigan: old navy
top: thrifted
skirt: thrifted
belt: thrifted
bag: thrifted dooney & bourke
shoes: aldo (circa 2008)
socks: joe fresh



The posts on IFB typically bother me, but I still go back check it every so often when I'm bored. At first I was really happy to read the headline - MAN-FLUENCE: A SINGLE GIRL’S GUIDE TO BLOGGING. So many fashion bloggers have boyfriends who take and edit their photos, code their blog, deal with the business side of things... I don't think this is WRONG by any means but it can be a little alienating to single girls, girls who aren't straight, girls who want to be single, girls who don't want their significant others to be involved with their blog (sup), and so on. So I thought, how NICE it is to have an article telling you that, hey, you can do it! You don't need a boyfriend with a fancy camera to take your blog photos! I was expecting something really empowering, you know?

Instead it's a post about writing to impress some imaginary dingus so that they'll want to bang you. Oh, cool!!

OK I get what the article is trying to say. That if you want your blog to succeed you need to make sure it's a confident and accurate representation of yourself. I get it! But what's with the weird heteronormative analogy they're using here to make you understand that? Proofread your entries and "be funny," just in case Mr. Right is watching. Bleh.

Keeping this blog as a means to impress a guy is the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what I'm doing here. The community that exists around style blogging is a cool womens safe-space to me. We're talking about style and fashion as it relates to ourselves, without taking male gaze into consideration. I'd rather keep that kind of attitude in Cosmo where it can go fester and die, thanks.

9 comments:

  1. "Before you go banging the gong for feminism"
    What does that even mean? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???? But anyway...

    I feel like this girl was kind of trying to write two separate articles? Like, she could have a good article about wanting to connect with other people through your blog, which is great! I love meeting people through blogging! And I could probably do more of it if I actually worked towards that instead of just posting whatever I want (though I kinda prefer the people I meet JUST BY BEING ME ON THE INTERNET.)

    But then there's the "single girl" thing...which I also get, because honestly, if you're really into fashion blogging that can be really awkward to bring up on first dates. I've had that experience.

    I just think the two points the way they're weaved together in this article do not work at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dealing with trying to figure out blogging, when your boyfriend helps take your photos (he only took them, with direction on what kind of thing I wanted from me, I did everything else myself and I don't think he even read it much), after the boyfriend breaks up with you. It's this whole other weird thing to navigate, and it's just, ugh, it's exhausting because the whole thing is now laden with emotion and it's kind of awful. But you adjust and get through, because this thing is mine and I've worked on it and I can't let something like this ruin it.

    I think it might be different if she seemed to be more, and I didn't closely read the whole thing I just skimmed it, yes I started doing this and I'm admitting it and I want to examine why I started writing for this dream guy. Oh well!

    In other news that is the perfect skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your short hair! It suits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'd rather keep that kind of attitude in Cosmo where it can go fester and die, thanks." YEP YEP YEP. That article was seriously the worst, and you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im not SURE how many HOT SINGLE STRAIGHT DUDES read blogs...i mean...srsly...they are on reedit, kotaku, and a.v club....i mean COME ON...

    IFB has GREAT HEADLINES...dissapointing posts....:/ but somehow i ALWAYS FALL FOR THEM

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH DEAR GOD WHY DID I READ THAT ARTICLE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember thinking how ridiculous that article was. Writing your blog to impress a future partner? Seriously? Blah. Sometimes IFB posts are okay, but that one totally takes the cake for worst ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its all about pleasing the men. seriously?! why does our female sphere have to be all about them now?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...